Saturday, July 14, 2007

Fundraiser



I just realized that I hadn't updated everyone on the fundraiser a couple weeks back! It was great!

Our event here in Lubbock was a success. I am sad to say we didn't raise a ton of money, but nearly $2000 will help a bit. We ended up with 12 people shaving their heads. 1 of these 12 was a female. Her mother works at bodyworks and as they were driving past they saw the sign and decided to stop and see what it was all about. This girl, decided on the spot that she wanted to shave her head to help such a wonderful cause. She sat down and let the barber do her thing. The news station showed up just as they were about to start, so they paused and let them make it over. She is starting high school in August, so this sacrifice for her is very great. She was so excited to be able to join the cause. Everyone that participated was overwhlemed with joy to help out. I was so happy with the turn out, especially for the first time having it in Lubbock. Since then we have had a few stories both on the tv and in the newspaper. I have included a couple of links for the articles.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/070107/loc_070107062.shtml There is a link here for a slideshow the the AJ put together. I would take a look at it, it was done very well. The speaker is mostly my husband Justin.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/070707/edi_070707013.shtml
(the bottom story on this page is about me. I was overjoyed when I heard it. I feel flattered that they commended me.)

There were also a total of 4 tv clips done. I have not been able to get digital copies of them yet, but they were on KLBK (.com) and KCBD (.com)...Both have websites and I was able to watch a clip on one of them the night of the event.

There are a few things I will do differently next year...
1. Shorter event timing...5 hours was too long, it would have been better to keep it at 3.
2. Hold it in the mall parking lot--Bodyworks members do not take money to the gym with them, it didn't occur to me. Bodyworks says that we can still use their equipment if we do it elsewhere.
3. Maybe a little earlier in the month.
4. Start looking for sponsors and donations earlier, such as food, supplies, copies, so forth. I didn't know that most office supply stores require 6-8 weeks advance request, and through corporate not your local store.
5. Be more aggressive getting the word out.

I loved doing this event and I definetly want to do it again next year.

1 comment:

Pokeyann said...

But you are comendable!! Good on ya, for doing this. I still can't believe you took it on, two kids, med student husband, working, oh and let's plan a huge fundraiser, hehe. You're so awesome!

Jaidi's Photo Gallery