I thought that everyone might want an update on the surgery from Friday.
I reported to outpatient surgery at 6am. Surgery wasn't scheduled until 8:30am. I got all the pre-op stuff done and then got to chill in the room while waiting for surgery time. I watched the news and Good Morning America for a little while. The anesthesiologist came in and told me what to expect and then at 8:15, they came and rolled me directly into the OR. They gave me the "happy" medicine, that was supposed to help me relax. Apparently it worked. I wasn't nervous to begin with, but I guess it did its job. Not five minutes later i must have been out. I remember them having me move from the bed over to the OR table. I remember laying down and the next thing I remember is waking up asking for Justin. THe nurse told me that I needed to calm down and that Justin would be able to come see me once I am moved back into outpatient surgery. I told them that Justin is able to calm me down. I was freaking out a bit I guess, because next thing I know, Justin is in there with me. I heard the nurse mention to him that I said he calms me down. I was pretty out of it, and pretty nauseous. I got lots of Zofran, I think two doses, and then I got some phenigran later. I was pretty drugged up for a while. I finally got to go home at about 3:45, once I was finally able to go to the bathroom and keep a little bit of something down.
As it turns out, there was an adhesion, but it was from 22 years ago when I had my appendix out and wasn't causing me pain. The culprit was my Mirena IUD. Apparently there is a very rare side effect that the IUD can perforate the uterus and lay to rest in the peritoneal cavity. Well, my little IUD perforated my uterus and embedded itself in the peritoneum. It had been out of my uterus long enough that spot where it went out of my uterus had already healed over. Apparently my body was still getting some hormones from it, just enough to keep me from getting pregnant. I am so not ready for that yet. All in all, we are lucky that it wasn't more than it was. It could have caused a lot more problems.
I had a great team of doctors that did a great job and took great care of me! I do have pictures...If anyone wants to see them, but I thought I would leave them off for those with weak stomachs...not that they are gross, but really, do you want to see my uterus? :)
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
I feel like the devil. You are my second friend that has had a perforated uterus thanks to an IUD and I was so promoting these things. I'm sorry! Hopefully you have a quick recovery.
Glad to hear the surgery went well and they found the problem. Prayers for a quick and easy recovery.
Hope you are feeling well! We were so glad to hear everything went well.
Post a Comment