Sunday, September 21, 2008

Memories

So When i was younger, I don't remember how old, I watched this movie with my mom. It was based on Danelle Steele's Book Fine Things. In the movie, this women gets diagnosed with cancer of some sort and goes through Chemo and loses all her hair...In one of the scenes, the lady is brushing her hair or soemthing and pulls a huge wad of hair out. at the time that I watched this movie, I didn't really understand anything about cancer or the chemo that usually goes along with it. Unforunately, I didn't understand that it was the chemo that made her hair fall out.  I thought that when you have cancer your hair falls out. 

So as I got older and would wash my hair and pull some of it out everytime, I managed to convince myself that I had cancer. It wasn't just 'any cancer' though. It was some sort of cancer that laid dormant for years except for making your hair fall out. Then one day it comes out and you die. Or something like that. I was so scared about it that I didn't want to tell my mom because I thought it would make her sad. Which is also the reason I never told my dad...(news for you eh dad?)  Anyway, as I grew up and learned more about cancer and treatments and so forth, I realized that it was not the cancer that caused hair loss but the chemo. 

Still everytime I wash my hair and 'lose' a little bit more, I think about watching Fine Things with my mother and thinking I had cancer. It makes me laugh pretty good now...why would I keep something like that from my parents. I have no clue. Obviously I wasn't too horribly scared, because life went on. But I was sure that I had cancer and that one day I was just going to not wake up because the cancer came out and I died. It makes for a good laugh now. I look back though and am baffled as to how I managed to keep this fear from my parents...

Anyway, I kept thinking about that lately. And just as a gentle reminder...cancer itself does not cause hair loss. So when you pull your hair out, you can feel a little more at ease!  

:) Here's to funny memories!  Anyone else got any they want to share? 

4 comments:

Carlee Hoopes said...

Yes, I think we all have irrational beliefs like this. I actually thought cancer caused hair to fall out for a while as well...and I'd get anxiety when a lot of my hair would fall out. I also thought I had Parkinson's disease because I had a twitch in my toe one night. I couldn't sleep the whole night.

Melanie said...

I truly believed that if I stepped on a crack I would break my mom's back. It didn't help that my mom had a bad back anyway! So I was always a super stressed kid during recess. Don't know when I grew out of it.

Pokeyann said...

I used to think a whale lived under our house. Because we had a well, ya sounded the same to me. And I thought if I took a long bath it would come up through the drain and eat me. Because whales can so squeeze themselves up through the pipes.

jenifer said...

what a cute blog you have-- i love the family pictures...
thanks for your sweet thoughts as we experienced nicu-2... hopefully we are out of the hard part and can just enjoy having little lily at home...

Jaidi's Photo Gallery